If you are new & wanting to develop a website, then you should know what things needed and How to Host a Website!
Websites abound on the Internet. They make up most of the content that is available on it. Every organization needs its website to show its content and make people aware of what they are about and the most effective way to do that is through an online reach - mainly through a personalized website.
However, not only by organizations but websites are also being created by individuals these days. Individuals sitting at home, on their own are starting these. These personal websites display various things- be it their hobbies or products they want to sell.
There are various startups as well that are starting to make a space for themselves in the vast virtual world through their very own websites.
However, there is quite a process behind having your web page. There are various aspects to it and not all of them very easy to understand. This article tackles with one such aspect - 'web hosting' and hopes that it makes things a bit clearer for the beginner.
To have a website that serves all of your needs, it is important to have the right information about what web hosting is, what a web host is, how to host a website by yourself, and various other details that we will be covering in this article.
What do you mean by the term “web hosting”?
Web hosting is providing space for a website to exist on the Internet. It can be compared to buying land to build your property on it except in this case you are buying space on the World Wide Web for your website. It is not as confusing as it sounds and we hope we can clear some of your doubts through this article.
What is meant by the term “web host”?
To know how to host a website, you have to what a web host is. As the concept of web hosting has been explained above, let us now deal with what a web host is. A web host is a business that provides space to a website and stores its files.
It is a technology that lets your website be viewed on the Internet. Web hosts provide this technology/facility through a server. Thus a web host is a sort of service provider and the service that they provide is creating space for your website on the World Wide Web.
What is a server?
A server is a piece of computer hardware that keeps your website up and running at all times so that one might be able to view the website at any time they like.
Whenever you want to start a website, you need to contact a web hosting company to initiate the process. You need to find a hosting provider that best suits you. The web hosting service is responsible for storing all your files and databases and so it is crucial to have a good service provider.
You will have to keep paying the web host every month to keep your website up just as you pay your landlord the rent every month. This is a bit of an expensive process but we have tried to provide you with cheaper ways to reach your goal.
How to host a website?
Web hosting can be done in the two ways listed below:
1. Hiring a web host:
This has already been mentioned above briefly. Read on to know about how to host a website in detail. In this process, you can hire a web hosting company to host your website for you.
There are certain steps to this as listed below:
- Compare hosting companies and choose the one best suited to your needs.
- Choose a website hosting company and a website hosting plan best suited for you.
- Select your domain name and then you have to register it.
This is the more popular option as it requires less time and energy and is much more reliable. This is the process where you pay a web hosting company a certain amount of money to store your files and provide space for your website on the World Wide Web.
? You may also: 10 Profitable Niches with Low Competition
This is done with the help of a server and is the easier of the two options because the web hosting company will do the work for you for a fixed price every month. However, along with it being easier and reliable, it is also the more expensive of the two options as you have to pay a not-so-small amount every month to the web host.
However, no need to worry as we have provided you with another option that may be a little tricky but will be much easier on your pocket than this one.
2. Hosting locally:
Since we are always looking for cheaper alternatives this article also covers how to host a website all by yourself. There are two ways to do it:
Option one: Using a Linux machine
- The first step to this is to install the LAMP software.
- After downloading said software, it is time to configure the site files and DNS.
- Finally, configure Apache.
Option two: Using your Windows PC as a WAMP server
- The first step here is to install the WAMP software.
- After installing said software, you have to upload your site file.
- Also, after carrying out the above two steps all you have to do is make your website public.
Apart from being a cheaper and a more hands-on option, hosting a website on your falls short in every other way. It is not nearly as reliable as the first option. The connections are slower and your computer needs to remain turned on at all times. It requires much more time, energy, and fuel to carry out the ordeal of web hosting on your own.
Types of web hosting:
1) Shared host:
If you want to host your website securely and save some bucks simultaneously then this is the best option for you. The shared host is the most basic type of hosting and very cost-effective.
The websites present in the shared host share a single server and their specific hosting plans limit their accessible resources. There are some disadvantages to this hosting type. If a website has a traffic spike then it will also affect the other websites hosted in the server.
It is recommended to use this host if your website is small or entry-level. The best-shared host platform is Bluehost. The pricing begins at a rate of $2.95 per month.
2) VPS host:
VPS host or Virtual Private Server is a step above shared host. In this type of hosting, you will still share the server but the number of websites you will share with is significantly lesser than shared hosting.
The name comes from the concept of splitting the main server into several virtual servers. Each website will have its separate resources and will not be affected by other websites. This causes faster accessibility and loading, and high uptime rate. It is recommended to use this host if your website is for business purposes. The best VPS host platform is the Inmotion host. Their price starts at $29.99 per month.
3) WordPress Hosting
WordPress hosting is basically for the websites using WordPress as a CMS. It has added security because of the fact that WordPress is the biggest globally used CMS and has a higher risk of cybercrime. There are two types of hosting in WordPress:
- Shared WordPress hosting
- Managed WordPress hosting
The first one is the same as the usual shared hosting, but the second one has enhanced security, faster loading time, and some premium features. WordPress hosting plan starts at $5 per month.
4) Dedicated Hosting
This is the most expensive type of hosting in this list. As the name suggests, you will have direct access to a dedicated server that is only meant for your website and will not be shared by any other websites.
You will have all the technical controls over the servers and will get to choose the software, configuration, and anything else you need to run your website. This type of hosing has top-notch performance, including the highest uptime rate and turbo loading speed.
is recommended to use this host only if your website is for e-commerce and has heavy traffic. If you are looking for a proficient dedicated hosting platform then you should go for HostGator. The pricing begins at a rate of $118.99 per month.
5) Cloud Hosting
Cloud hosting is a hybrid version of VPS but is much more cost-effective. The primary characteristic is that it comes with several remote servers and if one of the servers does not respond or slack off then another server will take over its responsibilities.
This causes a major increase in performance because of the higher uptime rate and no downtime due to server issues. The most proficient cloud hosting platform is SiteGround. The pricing begins at a rate of $ 6.99 per month.
Best hosting for a blogger:
A blog is a website that can be started by anyone for any purpose at all. There are paid as well as free options to host a website. These are listed below.
These are more viable options for students and other individuals, who cannot afford to pay a ton of money towards web hosting.
Wix.com - One of the most popular options out there is wix.com. It is a great option for students who want to put out their content in the world for no money. Let us have a look at some of its features:
- It has free signup with email or Facebook.
- Drag and drop designing is super easy.
- Access to 1000s of templates.
- Gives a professional look.
- Does not support coding.
- Low bandwidth.
WordPress.com - This is another very popular option. Every blogger has either started with WordPress or used it at some point in their lives. Its features are as below.
- It has a community, email, and live chat support.
- It provides access to tons of free as well as premium themes.
- It has spam protection.
- Has plenty of storage.
- It does not have an easy drag and drops feature.
- Low bandwidth.
Weebly.com - Let us have a look at some of its features.
- It lets you design with ease.
- It has hundreds of professional-grade themes.
It has all in one hosting and drag and drop builder.
- Does not support email.
- It has low storage.
Ghost.org - Its features are :
- It provides open-source blog creation software.
- It is very easy to install.
- It provides a range of templates.
- It provides a professional look.
- It has low storage.
- It has low bandwidth.
Jekyllrb.com - It has an installation guide that helps make the installation process very easy.
- Its site generator provides a template directory.
- Easy installation.
- Provides professional look for free.
- Low bandwidth.
- Low storage.
If you want to take your blog to the next level and can afford to pay a small amount for better blog hosting services then these hosting sites are for you.
Inmotionhosting.com - This is a great option and some of its features are listed below.
- It has unlimited bandwidth.
- It has free data backups.
- It has a free domain and comes with WordPress installed.
- It allows unlimited email accounts.
- It provides free templates.
- Doesn't include Twitter support.
Minimum Price - $3.99/month.
Siteground.com - Its features are as stated below.
- It sets up very quickly - in one click.
- It has a free WordPress setup.
- It supports 20+ email accounts.
- Sufficient load time.
- It charges a monthly setup fee
- It has a limited cheap plan
Minimum Price - starts at $3.95/month.
iPage.com - This one is no less than any of its counterparts. Let us have a look at some of its features.
- It has a free domain.
- It has unlimited storage and email accounts.
- It has unlimited domains and MySQL databases.
- Very easy setup.
- Free site builder and shopping cart.
- Slightly expensive.
- A domain is free for 1 year only.
Starting Price - From $1.99/month.
Fatcow.com - Its features are listed below.
- It has curated themes and pre-installed plug-ins.
- It has a choice between two hosting packages.
- It has a free domain with registration.
- It also offers a premium plan for speed and security.
- It has one-click script installs.
- They have environmental responsibility.
- The domain is free for 1 year only.
Starting Price - $3.15/month.
Hostinger.com - Another great option with features as stated below.
- It has all in on security protections
- It has a very easy one-click setup.
- Cheap price.
- Top two load time.
- The bandwidth is restricted.
- It does not have a free domain.
Starting Price from - $0.99/month.
Best hosting for video:
We all consume videos every day and even more now due to the pandemic. There are tons of videos being made every day and they make up most of the content on the internet. Listed below are some video hosting sites both paid and unpaid.
Free video hosting - This is again for the student that may want to put up their content on the internet without sparing any cash. Mentioned below are the five best free video hosting platforms.
Youtube.com - If you have not been living under a rock, chances are that you have heard about YouTube. It is one of the best platforms for all sorts of video makers. If you are looking to get a little famous, this is the place for you. Its features are-
- It has unlimited data storage.
- It has unlimited bandwidth.
- It helps bring your video into the spotlight.
- Free unlimited cloud storage.
- Has special features for easily inserting the videos.
- Ads play automatically.
- It has basic embedding options.
Dailymotion.com - Providing head-to-head competition to YouTube, this is another great free video hosting site with features as stated below.
- It is open to make videos private and even password protected.
- It provides free unlimited video hosting.
- Opportunities for audience building.
- Less competition.
- Smaller max file size.
- Smaller total audience.
Vimeo.com - The features of Vimeo are:
- It can enable video downloads and has no ads.
- It has discreet and customizable video embeds.
- It has no ads.
- Lets you advertise your creative services.
- Smaller audience.
- Low upload limits.
Twitch.tv - This is another great option with features as listed below.
- It limits you to five simultaneous uploads per user.
- It has live as well as prerecorded content.
- It has a wide range of videos.
- Easy to handle.
- Limited video hosting.
- Creating a large audience can be a troublesome task.
Facebook.com - A hugely popular social media platform, Facebook also acts as a free video hosting platform. You can avail the following features on Facebook:
- Videos uploaded on this can be embedded.
- You can also upload HD videos on Facebook.
- Lets you share videos directly.
- Provides unlimited video sharing.
- Lower-quality videos.
- Ads play automatically.
Paid video hosting:
If you have some cash that you can spare and want a better service to manage your videos, these paid hosting websites are for you.
Wistia.com - A great option for a video hosting website, Wistia has the following features.
- It does not have ads.
- It has custom branding.
- 100% customizable embed player.
- Create a custom audience.
- Doesn't provide an inherent audience.
Price - $99/month
Spotlightr.com - Another advanced site for video hosting. Let us have a look at its features.
- You get paid according to your video views.
- It has customizable branding.
- No ads.
- It is complex.
- Difficult to handle makes the process less enjoyable.
Price - $62/month
Brightcove.com - This is used by many major publications. Its features are:
- It offers you the option to live stream directly to your website or app.
- It lets you manage and sell your video ad inventory.
- Has advanced marketing automation integrations.
- Has enterprise-friendly content.
Price - $199/month
Sproutvideo.com - Even though it's a bit on the pricey side its services are unmatched. To know about its features, go through the points below.
- It offers sharing and collaboration tools.
- It offers a lead capture form.
- It also offers audience building and advanced video analytics.
- Has custom playlists.
- It gives role-based permissions.
- No inherent audience.
- Is sort of complex.
Price - $25/month.
WordPress video hosting: Jetpack - Its features are:
- It provides unlimited video hosting.
- It is an unbranded and customizable video player.
- Video stats on your WordPress dashboard.
- Lacks advanced features.
- No inherent audience.
Price - $9/month.
Best hosting for image:
If you want to display your photography then you will surely have thought of starting a website for it. Much like videos, pictures also make up a lot of the content that is available online. Below are a few images of hosting websites.
Free image hosting - If you are a student or an individual that is looking to display your photography skills on the World Wide Web for free, then the following services are for you. Go through them to know about how to host a website.
Google photos - One of the most popular images hosting services, Google Photos lets you upload premium quality images free of cost and is quite a hit among the masses. Its features are as follows.
- It offers unlimited free storage for photos.
- It also allows you to upload videos in 1080p.
- Helps you to arrange your photos automatically.
- Easy to use interface.
- Only supports certain formats.
- Charges for more space.
Imgur - This is another popular option. It's features are:
- It has unlimited storage.
- There is no expiration date on the images.
- Supports almost all formats.
- You can share images easily.
- A free account has limited features.
- Audience building is a tough task.
Dropbox - Dropbox has the following features.
- It does not change, edit, or resize your photos in any way upon uploading them.
- It offers the facility to create folders and subcategories to easily manage your photos.
- Backs up automatically.
- There are no chances of losing your data.
- Comparatively low storage.
- Doesn't have specialized tools
Flickr - Again, very popular with students, Flickr has the following features.
- It provides an array of editing tools.
- You can arrange your pictures in the form of albums.
- This can also be used as a social media platform.
- Can control who sees your photos.
- Can leave comments.
- Charges for unlimited storage.
- It's an older app and does not have the latest features.
Instagram - One of the most popular social media platforms today, Instagram is a great image hosting service. Be it pictures of yourself, pictures to grow your brand or simply pictures highlighting your talents, Instagram has room for everything. Some of its features are :
- It lets you write captions to go along with your pictures.
- It also lets you post videos of many kinds.
- Audience building is easier.
- Easy to handle.
- Fixed layout.
Paid image hosting:
This is for the ones who want a more organized approach towards their photos and have a little money to spare to reach this goal.
Adobe Portfolio - This is the ideal choice for creative individuals and ones who have creative careers. It has the following features -
- It stores all images on the Adobe Creative Cloud.
- It allows automated imports from the Lightroom.
- Suitable for complex design projects.
Price - $52/month.
Format - This is another great paid option with the following features:
- It has a wide range of templates.
- It has image proofing tools.
- Allows updating portfolio.
- Easy to use.
- Not easy to build an audience.
Price - $25/month.
Google One - A newer service, Google One has the following features.
- It saves images as they are original.
- It has 24/7 support.
- Has newer features.
- Difficult to handle.
- Does not provide unlimited storage.
Price - $2.99/month.
Imageshack - Imageshack has the following features.
- It has built-in image resizing features.
- It provides unlimited uploads and space for its users.
- Has great features and templates.
- Supports direct linking.
- Doesn't support all formats.
- Very expensive.
Price - $99.99/month.
Inmotion hosting - Inmotion hosting has the following features:
- It is multifaceted and works in conjunction with WordPress sites.
- It has enhanced security measures/features.
- Easy to handle.
- Storage Limitation on the package.
- Creating your audience can be a tough job here.
Price - $3.99/month.
Through this article, we have tried to familiarize you with the concept of web hosting and guide you towards choosing the best web host for you and your needs. We hope this has made things clearer and given you a head start about how to host a website.
1. How many types of web hosting available over the internet?
The below mentioned four are the most important types of web-hosting:
- Shared Hosting
- VPS (Virtual Private Server)
- Dedicated Server
- Cloud Hosting
2. How to find a plan for web hosting that is perfect for your business?
Before going for any plan you should decide what type of web hosting do you need. The various web-hosting categories include shared, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting. Do a comparison between the types and then finally go for the one that suits you the most.
3. Which is the most affordable web hosting plan?
If you are new on this journey and want to buy a cheap web hosting plan then go for shared web hosting. It is considered to be the cheapest among all the other plans. It has plans starting from less than $10 per month.
4. What are the pros and cons of using YouTube.com as a free video hosting site?
a) Free unlimited cloud storage
b) Can easily embed videos
a) Ads play automatically
b) It has basic embedding options
5. Which is the cheapest among the paid video hosting sites?
WordPress offers the cheapest plan among the paid video hosting sites which are only $9 per month.