Are you a kid? Do you want to make money? and searching for how to make money as a kid? So listen, Age is just a number. Yes, in today’s world it is just a number. You do not have to be 18 years old to start earning money. Kids can also earn money. There are so many options for teens to start earning money. Starting from online jobs such as blogging to doing jobs like babysitting or taking care of pets there are innumerable ways in which one can earn a few bucks. Below-mentioned is a few ways of how to make money as a kid. Let’s see what’s waiting for you!
Here are the 12 ways of “How to Make Money As a Kid”:
1. Mowing Lawns
Mowing lawns is one of the easiest ways to make money as a kid. One can easily do this kind of job during the summers or whenever the weather seems safe. Before you start mowing the lawns ask your customer if they want their lawns to be cleaned in a specific manner for e.g. how much height should the grasses have or which parts should be left untouched.
- You can charge a flat rate of $30 to $50 depending on the size of the lawns. Although it is better if you ask what others are charging in your locality.
- For children less than 12 years of age it is better to use push mow. Riding mows should be used only by teens above the age of 16.
- To protect your eyes from the flying grasses always wear safety glasses and for feet wear closed-toe shoes.
- Try to take these jobs during daylight.
2. Earn by doing odd jobs
This can be one of the easiest as well as the greatest ways to make money as a kid. There are many elderly people in your locality, who are unable to do various daily tasks due to their old age and deteriorating health conditions. This can be the best opportunity for doing those odd jobs for them and making a side income from it. It can be anything such as getting groceries from the local shop, cleaning the house, watering plants, moving furniture, or any other basic task. In this way, both parties will be benefitted.
If you are confident that you can do these local gigs, you can take one step forward by downloading different apps that will help you to find various tasks in and around your locality. Some of those apps are WeReward, GigWalk, and CheckPoints. They will connect you with local businesses and people who will give some simple jobs to perform. The amount of money you will earn depends on the type of tasks you do. It can be between $3 to $100.
3. Selling handicrafts
We all want to make money from something that interests us. We all think about the best possible ways to turn our hobbies into a side business. Most of the kids are interested in some form of art or another. They like to make various types of handicrafts such as wall hangings, candles, jewelry, friendship bracelets, cards, etc. And yes, one can make money as a kid by selling these products.
You can also decide the prices of your products as per the efforts you have given and the prices of the materials you have used in creating those products. Finally, you have to find an area where you can sell your products. There are a number of ways to sell them such as you can sell them in a local craft fair or you can put your stall or any art show. Moreover, there are various online platforms where you can sell your products such as Etsy.
4. Wash Cars or Bikes.
In today’s world, you do not have to worry about how to make money as a kid, there are so many ways to make money as a kid. For example, you can wash cars and bikes of others to earn some extra bucks during the weekends. It is one of the best ways for teens as they get time to look outside except their computer screens. All you need to have is some sponges, a bucket, a liquid for washing the cars, and a pipe to set up a washing station.
- Before you get into the business try to promote the fact that you are giving such services. So let your neighbours know about your service because nowadays almost everyone owns a car.
- You can charge $10 to $20 for each vehicle.
- If you want some extra bucks out of it you can also start cleaning the interiors of the vehicle.
If you are a pet lover and are looking for ways to make money as a kid then working as a caretaker of pets will definitely give you happiness. Promotion is the key to success while doing such jobs. Ask your neighbors, who have pets. Jobs like this are in high demand because people nowadays are very busy with their work and do not have the time to take their pets for a long walk.
- Maintain a notepad to write the days on which you are taking the dogs out. Also which ones.
- Reach the customer’s house on time and carry dog bowl, leash and water bottles with you
- Spend some time with the pets before you take them for a walk.
- Set your rate based on the length of the walks.
6. Video game streaming
Video game streaming is an emerging market in this digital era. This video game streaming can help you earn millions of money. The only thing you need to do is that you have to record while you are playing by using any streaming hardware and then share that video on any online platform. There are various streaming platforms such as Twitch or YouTube Games that will help you to make money as a kid. You can earn money from video game streaming in the following ways:
- Donations and tips from viewers
- Affiliate marketing
- Commissions from ads
- Selling your own merchandise
- Offering various services to your audience such as teaching them the tricks
- Regular payment from viewer subscriptions
- Representing any brand or sponsorships
7. Teaching other kids
If you are extremely good at any particular subject, then teaching that subject to other kids can be a very good way to make money as a kid. You can teach your classmates or if you are uncomfortable with teaching students of your age, you can also teach younger students. However, teaching requires a lot of responsibility on your part. Therefore, if you are confident then only you should choose this field. You can charge on an hourly basis or a fixed rate. On average, one can earn $20 per hour by teaching. Moreover, a number of online platforms and tutoring sites are present to help you to find students according to your requirements.
If writing is your hobby, then blogging is the best possible way to make money as a kid. You can write on anything that you want but make sure that you stick to one particular niche. It can be anything that you are passionate about such as your favorite video game, your favorite sport, your favorite TV show, etc. The niche must also be profitable so that you can make more money from blogging. The easiest part about blogging is there are no specific rules or guidelines you need to follow. There are different ways in which you can earn money from your blog.
Firstly, you can do affiliate marketing in which various links will be present in your blog. Once someone clicks on these links and buys any product, you will earn a commission. Secondly, Google Adsense or other ad networks can help you in earning money by showing various ads on your site. If anyone clicks on these ads, you will earn something. Lastly, if you can get huge traffic in your blog, you can earn money by writing sponsored posts.
Babysitting can be one of the ideal ways of making money as a kid. If you are above the age of 11 and you are comfortable being with other kids, then this can be a great way for you to earn something. There are a number of babysitting websites, where you have to make your profile and can find your potential customers from these platforms. The amount of money you will charge should depend upon your experience and the number of children you are babysitting.
The average rate is $14 per hour. However, babysitting is not an easy task to do. You have to keep many things in your mind, depending upon the age of the child. There are many online courses, training programs, and certification courses that will help you in understanding the basic things about babysitting.
10. Start Delivering Newspapers
This is a unique way of making money as a teen. Delivering newspapers is not something that you do daily. So it is quite a fun task to do. You will be amazed to know that successful men like Tom Cruise started out like this. So, just contact your local newspaper to know the routes that are available in your locality.
- To start out, you need to start waking early because newspapers are delivered within 5 in the morning.
- Collect the papers that are supposed to be delivered and start giving it out door to door by riding your bicycle.
- The rate that you will be paid will vary from $11 to $12.
- You can also share the route to your friends and family members to switch days.
11. Recycle Items
In many countries, people get paid for recycling items at the local recycling center. Collect cans, jugs, bottles, newspapers from your neighbors for recycling. Ask your parents to take you to the nearest center that does recycling. Cleaning your environment is also a kind of social service. These are some unique ways to make money as a kid, which one can definitely try.
- While collecting the products for recycling try to find out the symbol which depicts recycling (3 arrows which make a triangle). If you find the numbers 1 and 2 within the triangle that means the product can be recycled. If you see 3,6 or 7 that means your product cannot be recycled.
- Before taking it to the recycling center verify whether they want the products cleaned or not. Some centers might ask you to wash the cans before taking it to them.
12. Start Selling Lemonade Juice
It is a great way to make money as a kid during the summers because people look for such pleasures when it is hot outside. You need a table and a signboard to write the name of your stall which will attract the customers. Also, some cups, straw, ice, lemonades, and a pitcher. Sell the lemonades based on per cup.
- People look for hand-squeezed lemonades because they are rare these days. So it is better that you sell homemade lemonades. People will pay you more for that
- Make the lemonade according to your comfort. If your stand is far from your home then make the lemonade and keep it under your table inside a cooler and if it is in your yard you can keep it in your kitchen and get back to refill from there.
- Whatever you charge for the lemonade make sure you add the cost of straw and ice in it.
- You can also sell some cookies or chips to earn a few extra bucks.
To make money as a kid is a very good idea. We all should encourage the idea of becoming independent from a very young age. There are several ways in which you can make money as a kid. Some of the great options are listed in this article. However, before choosing any field, you should take permission from your parents or any adult present in your house. Make sure that the employer you are working under follows all the legal rules and regulations to keep you safe. Your focus should not only be on earning money. You must also try to learn something from the jobs you are doing so that it helps you in your future jobs.
FAQ of How to Make Money as a Kid:
1. What skills are needed for babysitting?
There are no specific skills that are needed for babysitting but who should enjoy what you are doing. You should enjoy spending time with the babies. Also, you need to have a basic sense of responsibility.
2. How much can one earn from washing cars?
It’s totally up to the person how much he/she wants to charge per vehicle. On average one can charge $10 to $20 per vehicle.
3. How much can one earn from mowing lawns?
Again it depends on the person who is giving the service and also the size of the lawn. Although one can charge anywhere between $30 to $50.
4. What skills are needed to start a blog?
There are no specific skills to start blogging. You just have to be creative enough to write down the content.
5. What is the minimum salary a newspaper boy gets?
The rate that one will be paid will vary from $11 to $12.